The 95-year-old inspired millions worldwide with his courage and timeless devotion to uplifting those most in need. Below we’ve gathered several of Mandela’s best quotes that embody his mission to fight for equality and harmony for all people.
1. I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
2. There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
3. Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
4. In my country we go to prison first and then become President.
5. If the United States of America or Britain is having elections, they don’t ask for observers from Africa or from Asia. But when we have elections, they want observers.
6. If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness and Forgiveness.
7. Any man or institution that tries to rob me of my dignity will lose.
8. Unlike some politicians, I can admit to a mistake.
9. Our human compassion binds us the one to the other – not in pity or patronizingly, but as human beings who have learnt how to turn our common suffering into hope for the future.
10. There is no such thing as part freedom.
11. I can’t pretend that I’m brave and that I can beat the whole world.
12. There are times when a leader must move out ahead of the flock, go off in a new direction, confident that he is leading his people the right way.
13. Our single most important challenge is therefore to help establish a social order in which the freedom of the individual will truly mean the freedom of the individual.
14. There are many people who feel that it is useless and futile to continue talking about peace and non-violence against a government whose only reply is savage attacks on an unarmed and defenceless people.